The Perks of Being a Wallflower

The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky A very lovely book in some places, however, I did have quite a few problems with it. I suppose my main beef was that for a self-professed wallflower, Charlie seemed to have no shortage of possibly the most understanding and accepting friends within the western world. In many ways the book almost comes across more like a wallflower's wish-fulfilment. Despite all his problems - and Charlie has quite a few - he has a girl chasing after him, and as an added bonus she is completely unaware of his complete disinterest in her. His unrequited crush is the most understanding teenager I have ever come across in fiction, and as for his English Teacher's paternal interest in Charlie...Just no.Teenagers are cruel, they don't behave in the way Chbosky writes them. They just don't. They're selfish, petty, vain and childish most of the time. Underpaid and overworked teachers don't magically become available as super shiny mentors for misunderstood teenagers, and if by some means they just so happen to do so I guarantee they wouldn't let a student get nearly as close as Charlie's did.Someone with Charlie's issues would have been picked on relentlessly - or just plain ignored. Fortunately Chbosky gets rid of the former problem almost right off the bat by establishing Charlie as quite the fighter, someone who you definitely don't want to get on the wrong side of. I mean, come on. There are some moments where greatness shines through very briefly within the novel, but it's quickly snuffed out by poetic hyperbole. Shame.