The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas - John Boyne For a long time I thought I was missing something after I read this book, given the amount hype surrounding it when it was first published - and many friends and family were raving about it as well. So it's nice to know that on this site there are plenty people that share the same thoughts that I do when it comes to this novel.This book, in one word, is trash.Historical inaccuracies and idiotic plot aside, lets start with the central character, Bruno. A young eight year old boy who is written as if he is four years old, and seems to have no idea about anything that's going on around him. Oh yeah, his father is a very high ranking Nazi officer, who fortunately for the reader, neglected to fill his young son with Third Reich ideals or anything else for that matter.Heck, poor Bruno doesn't even know who The Fuhrer is.And I'll leave you with that. Reading this the only thing I could see is Boyne sweating over a keyboard dreaming of a sold screenplay and glittering awards.Whitewashed, sentimental and manipulative crap.