John Dies at the End

John Dies at the End  - David Wong After hearing so many good things about this book I was desperate to read it, now after the fact, I kind of wish I hadn't been in such a hurry. There was a lot of things in this book that simply didn't click with me and it took me a little while to work out what my problems were with it.That isn't to say John Dies at the End is by any means a bad book, it's just not that great. Sure, the dialogue is pretty witty at times when the seemingly endless dick jokes are kept to a minimum and the author has quite the talent for bringing the bizarre seamlessly to life. I suppose where the book really falls down for me is that there is just way too much gore in it for it to be effective. In this case, less would have been way more. After about the forth blood-and-guts ending for a character in a very short space of time it just becomes boring and repetitive. The books also drags quite a lot in some places, needlessly so at many intervals.It's a book with some superb ideas in it, but I feel it just really needed one hell of a ruthless editor to make them shine through more.