Dash & Lily's Book of Dares

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares - Rachel Cohn,  David Levithan It's always a tricky business when it comes to YA for me, as I can't technically class myself as one any longer - not that it should matter, of course, a good story, should be a good story regardless of age.After reading this, I mediated a little on whether or not my teen self would have liked this book, and suffice to say I think she would have thrown this book against the wall. I seem to have mellowed as the years have gone by - that, or I really didn't want to damage my kindle.Let's start with the positives. I must say it was a lovely idea...and again, it was a lovely idea - and that's it.I found that Dash & Lily's Book of Dares suffered from the same problems that Confessions of a Wallflower had - a hundredfold: Pretentious, to try hard and unrealistic characters. And if I'm moaning about something being pretentious, there's definitely a problem somewhere. I am the only person I know who adored The Fountain, after all.Lily, the book's protagonist is the a 'quirky girl' with a whole lot of angst, but I was buggered if I could find what the hell it was she she had to be upset about. She had very loving family, seemed to have quite a bit of money given the amount of time she spent shopping, and lest I forget, for someone who has little to no friends, she seemed to manage to build quite a rapport with complete strangers with ease.I found myself disliking her more and more as the story went on.And Dare? What teenage boy talks, thinks and acts like that? None. Boys like that do not exist. End of.1.5 - for the idea if nothing else.